This is a renovation of a ground floor storage room into a commercial space in the French Quarter in a building originally built in 1835 by designers Gurlie & Guillot for Baron de Pontalba. To accentuate the history of the building, Studio Kraft exposed the masonry load-bearing walls on either side of the space and the ceiling structure above. The architectural insertion of utilitarian zones, the bathroom and mechanical room, on one side of the space allows direct views from the building entrance to the courtyard beyond. In addition, a new glass door with arched transom, patterned off the original doors draws light in from the street.
Project Area: 950sf